The new Benton Franklin Humane Society will open at its new location at 1736 E. Seventh Ave. in Kennewick this month.
The nonprofit group purchased the 3.66-acre lot from the Port of Kennewick.
Architect Terence L. Thornhill designed the 9,000-sq.-ft. shelter that will be capable of boarding up to 120 dogs and cats. The new shelter will allow the no-kill shelter to house about three times the number of animals it could at its previous Gage Avenue location.
T. R. Masterson Construction is the general contractor on the $1.5 million project, which broke ground in July.
The new facility is designed to make it easier for staff to care for the animals and keep their quarters clean. The new shelter also gives the staff the ability to quarantine sick animals.
The project was paid for by donations to the Benton Franklin Humane Society.
For more information, go to www.bfhs.com.