Tri-City region’s population continues to climb

Pasco and Richland were among the state’s top 10 cities for population growth, and Benton and Franklin counties each grew about 2 percent in the past year.

Benton County, the state’s 10th largest county, grew 1.9%, adding 3,900 people, and Franklin County, the state’s 14th largest county, grew 2.2%, adding 2,080 people.

That’s according to the latest population tallies released by the state.

The state total population topped

7.6 million residents, according to annual April 1 estimates prepared by the Office of Financial Management. The state released the data June 29.

Though year-over-year data shows modest growth in Benton and Franklin counties, the area’s growth over the past decade shows an explosive uptick, with Benton County up 17.4% and Franklin County, up 24%.

The Covid-19 crisis did not have a discernible impact on the 2020 estimates because most population change occurred before the crisis began, OFM said.

Source: Office of Financial Management

Strong population growth continued in Washington, with the state adding 109,800 people over the last year, a 1.5 percent increase.

Migration continues to be the primary driver behind Washington’s population growth.

From 2019-20, net migration (people moving in minus people moving out) to Washington totaled 83,400, which was down by 6,700 from last year.

Net migration accounted for 76% of the state’s population growth, with natural increase (births minus deaths) responsible for the other 24%.

  • Done Reading?

    Take me back to the top

Posted in

Latest News

Construction underway on Circle K near West Richland Yoke’s

Richland Taco Bell gets makeover, more square feet 

Bush Car Washes sold to growing Arizona company 

Kadlec, Tri-Cities Cancer Center commit to ‘brand’

Columbia Center owner Simon nixes Thanksgiving hours

Meals on Wheels postpones drive-thru service due to poor air quality

  • LS_Networks

E-Newsletter

Sign-up for our e-newsletter filled with featured stories and latest news.

Calendar

Junior Achievement of Washington’s Dare to Dream Virtual Fundraising Event and Auction

September 26 @ 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm

Cancer Crushing Challenge Virtual Run

October 1 @ 8:00 am - October 10 @ 1:00 pm

Tri-City Photography Club

October 8 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm